1770 Festival in 2021
The 1770 Festival is an annual commemorative event held in 1770, Queensland (the “only number on the map in Australia”) around the historic date of 24 May 1770. 250+1 years ago, Lt (later Captain) James Cook and his crew of the Bark ‘Endeavour’ landed on the East Coast shore at the point now named 1770, experiencing their first Encounters in Country with the local Gooreng Gooreng people before sailing away on further historic global explorations.
Beat the queue !
Every May, locals and visitors reflect on Cook’s legacy of exploration; his incredible cartography skills and documented observations of Country and First Peoples. Traditional custodians the Gooreng Gooreng have participated, performed and shared their culture with Festival attendees since the 1770 Festival’s inception in 1992, which has become a collaborative platform increasing the involvement of the traditional custodians and promoting global cultural unity while celebrating historic local “Encounters in Country” together.
The picturesque coastal community of Agnes Water & Town of 1770, gateway to the Southern Great Barrier Reef, is getting ready to fire up again this May into a colourful kaleidoscope, showcasing the incredible range of activities and attractions to be experienced in this stunning coastal location.
For the 28th year, the picturesque coastal community of Agnes Water & Town of 1770 invites you to join them in paradise to commemorate the date when the first Europeans set foot on this land and encountered the Gooreng Gooreng people for the first time. There’ll be tons of fun for the whole family, with plenty to see and do to suit all ages, tastes and budgets. The local community has combined a vibrant variety of events to showcase the range of attractions to be experienced in 1770 and Agnes Water. Throughout the month of May, there will be activities, experiences and adventures to engage every visitor to the area, with the main celebrations happening across the weekend of 21-23 May.
Linc Phelps Band
Pete Cullen & The Hurt
The Grand Finale
This year kindly funded by the Agnes Water Tavern.
Conditions Of Entry
- The 1770 Festival is an all weather event. Ticket purchases cannot be exchanged, returned or refunded.
- This is an all ages event. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Children under 14 are admitted for $1 when accompanied by an adult. Each adult can accompany up to TWO children free of charge.
- All bags must be presented for searching upon entering the venue.
- Footwear must be worn at all times.
- All patrons will be issued with a coloured wrist band upon entry. Anyone found without an official wrist band will be rejected from the venue and must purchase a new ticket to be re-admitted.
- No food or drink can be brought into the venue (except for water but we will have chilled water free of charge).
- Chairs and tables will be provided so please do not bring your own.
- Anyone believed to be carrying banned substances may be subjected to a search by security guards or police.
- The bar will close 30 minutes prior to the end of the show each day.
- Drink vouchers are not refundable for cash.
- Drinks cannot be taken out of the licensed area.
- Smoking is only permitted within the designated smoking area.
- Management reserves the right to refuse entry for any reason.
- Liquor will not be sold to anyone who is drunk, disorderly or under 18 years of age.
- Any person who is ejected from the venue for any reason will not be re-admitted at any stage over the length of the festival, nor will they receive a refund of the ticket price.
- No dogs, cats or other pets/animals allowed.
- Bags may be searched or restricted.
- Don’t drink and drive, organise a designated driver, look after each other.
- Public transport via shuttle bus will be available.
- Glass containers are not permitted.
People who are unduly intoxicated will not be served alcohol.
- Water will be freely available.
Look out for your friends and family.
- Wet and dry areas are both available.
- Go to a chill-out or rest area for help.
- ID will be required to purchase alcohol.
- BYO alcohol is not permitted.