DCTC Responsibilities & Achievements
Discovery Coast Tourism & Commerce, or DCTC as it is fondly known, has 3 core areas of focus – local advocacy, local promotion and local events.
DCTC is proud of the many achievements we have either instigated or supported to benefit the local community and businesses since the organisation became an Incorporated body in 2000. You can read DCTC’s About Us and some highlights of the achievements.
- Keeping Community, Environment and Economic Sustainability topics front of mind, DCTC supports and develops new events, new products and new attractions with strategic planning and training.
- DCTC directly supports multiple community groups and their various projects (Lions, Discovery Coast Environment Group, SES, Discovery Coast & Captain Creek Sports and Recreation Clubs, 1770 Dragons, Rotary, 1770 Art Show and many more).
- Year round, DCTC hosts monthly General Meetings attended regularly by representatives from all levels of council and government. The Gladstone Regional Council Activity Tracker implemented by DCTC in 2022, is providing accountability with updates.
- DCTC has an ongoing commitment to promote our destination, to maintain fair market share in a competitive industry.
- Our destination and event websites attract 130,000+ visitors on average per year:
- Continuous social media presence promoting #VisitAgnes1770, media releases, editorials, blogs, famils, consumer enewsletters and joint marketing activities
- Supporting Tourism and Events Queensland “Where Great Begins” Southern Great Barrier Reef campaigns
- With our highly popular Online Event Calendar, DCTC provides local events with greater exposure for FREE.
- DCTC’s Events team successfully operates a number of festivals and events throughout the year – the annual Agnes Blues, Roots & Rock Festival since 2015, and the 1770 Festival, held locally in May, since 1992
- On average, the DCTC managed events produce an estimated 7000 direct visitor night; and an average spend of $900,000 in our region.
- Profits from the DCTC Events are distributed amongst local community groups, for example $12,000 towards Agnes Water SES in 2022.
Significant Past Achievements
- Successfully staged the Agnes Water & 1770 Commonwealth Games Baton Relay event in March 2018
- DCTC was instrumental with the bike path extension to connect our twin towns and provide safer pedestrian and cyclist passage
- Successful grant applications and project management to achieve construction of the permanent Stage and green room at the SES Grounds
- SES Grounds permanent lighting request by DCTC resulted in the project completion by GRC
- DCTC is proud to have been the umbrella organisation for the steering committee that established the Bendigo Community Bank in Agnes Water
- DCTC called Miriam Vale Shire Councillors to a special meeting to overturn their decision not to provide funding for the 1770 Foreshore development. Consequently, over $1m from State and Local Government created the tastefully designed foreshore that today enhances the visual beauty of 1770 for visitors.